In Memory

William Wells

William (Willy) Moore Wells V

Portland, OR

June 23, 1950 - February 23, 2019

A memorial service honoring the life of William Moore Wells V will be held in Portland Oregon on April 6, 2019. Willy passed away February 23, 2019 at Legacy Emanuel Medical Center in Portland. He was born at the Newark Hospital on Buena Vista Street on June 23, 1950 to Dr. William Moore Wells IV and Roberta Seip Wells.

After graduation for High School in Greenbrier, West Virginia and College from Franklin University in Columbus, Ohio, Willy moved to Phoenix, Arizona then to Portland, Oregon. He retired after thirty years working for the Union Pacific Railroad in the Portland rail yard as a Brakeman. Willy married Ruth McNutt Wells in 1986 who also worked for the Union Pacific Railroad. Willy loved his family, his friends, his home and his life in Portland.

Willy is survived by his wife Ruth McNutt Wells, his son William Moore Wells VI (Will) and daughter-in-law Sarah Addis Wells. He is also survived by his sister, Sally Baranski (Wells) of Greer, SC, brothers Steve Wells of Pittsburg, PA and Bruce Wells of Aurora, IL.

The family would like to thank you for your thoughts during this time of grief for prayer and to keep his memory alive as the kind, life loving soul he was while with us on Earth.

Condolences can be written on the Advocate web page.

Published in the Advocate from Apr. 5 to Apr. 7, 2019

  Post Comment

04/19/19 12:59 PM #1    

Roger McDonald

Willy, as I recall, always seemed thoughtful, an impression reinforced by a memory that he always spoke in complete sentences, a rare attainment for any of us at that age.  He was a good friend of some of my good friends, so I only befriended him indirectly so to speak.  Nine years ago, completely out of the blue, he sent a message via this site that recalled my dragooning him to travel over to High Street to see the four-and-a-half hour "The Sorrow and the Pity," an epic documentary on French complicity in, and resistance to, the Holocaust.  That was just before we both left Newark for different coasts in the mid-70s, so the expedition must have left an uncommon mark in Willy's mind.  I was touched that he recalled that little event so clearly.  But so soon after we have seen old friends in joy and celebration, another soul that enriched many of our lives is gone.  That is, for us, the sorrow and the pity.  My condolences to those of you who knew Willy far better than I.

  Post Comment